Monday, April 28, 2008

Daring Baker's Challenge April



First of all, let me apologize for being late for the entry (and it’s my first time for DB too, talk about first impression eh?)

But really, between having exams and then cut off from the net for three days, I couldn’t post anything in a while.

So,

Here goes,

This month’s challenge was hosted by Elle and Deborah. A tough one I might say. Through I made a few cheesecakes before, cheesecakes have never been my forte. So when I read that the cheesecake was going to get molded and covered in chocolate, I was both excited and nervous at the same time. Excited because it’s coated in my favorite ingredient of all time; chocolate and nervous as it’s not your normal cheesecake.

I planned the whole thing way early of the month. But as the saying goes, not everything goes as we planned. I just got back from a cousin’s wedding and decided to take a quick nap. When I woke up, I look at my watch and it’s 11.30 pm, one hour before I must pack my bags. Shooot.. I quickly go downstairs and measure the ingredients, mix everything up and pop it into the oven. 35minutes later, the cake was golden and I happily leave it to cool before packing my bag and leaving for my hostel with the cake. It took me some time before I realized that I forgot the chocolate and colored decorations thingy (don’t know what it’s called). Well, suffice to say, I just bought the chocolate on the way but it was clear the cheesecake pops won’t have much décor.

The cake wasn’t even soft from the start, it was firm out of the oven and when it was cooled in the refrigerator, it became even firmer. Initially I wanted to cut it out into small pieces and work it into a ball from there, but it seemed like the cake wasn’t budging at all. Maybe I over measure the flour a bit. I was dumbfounded. I read about something similar happened to another blogger and she put it into a blender/mixer before shaping it into a ball again. However, being in the hostel, I have limited access to the kitchen utensils. I stare at the solid, now cube-like cake for a minute before deciding to go with the dipping. The chocolate hardens pretty fast. it was getting thicker as I was dipping the twelve one. But after a minute in the microwave, it was spreadable and I continued with the other pops.

Overall, the cake had a bit too much flour and cheese making it firm and too cheesy. The whole thing was funny now that I think about it. Racing here and there and forgetting my stuff along the way. I’d have to plan the next challenge better. Through It’d give this recipe another try next week. As my mum always say, “you have to keep on trying the recipe until you got it just right!”

7 comments:

Henny A. said...

Congratulations on your first DB Challenge! It sounds like you had fun despite all the challenges and little obstacles you had to overcome.

Anonymous said...

I just discovered this challenge today, I think your pops turned out great!

Lunch Buckets said...

Welcome to the group! You literally did your first challenge on the run :)

Anonymous said...

wwwwwwwwwwaaaaah! melted chocolate la! ;P

Unknown said...

Wow, I'm not sure I ever would have attempted this while not at home, so kudos for that. I actually like the plainly dipped rectangles, they have a certain elegance to them.

Gretchen Noelle said...

Sorry things did not turn out as well as you would have liked! Welcome to the Daring Bakers!

adli said...

wow.. thanks.. I didn't have internet access for about a week now.. but I'm back.. hehe.. yes, well, I'll make sure the next one would be a complete success. this post sounded so vain. :P thanks again people!