I wanted to recreate the Secret Recipe's Yogurt Cheesecake for Milla (tgk, aku baik tau). I got the genereal idea, what to do for each layer, but when I was making it, due to some problems, the ideas went down the drain as I panicked my way through the whole process!! so here's what happened;

ingat nak buat macam nie...
The first problem was, based on what I've read last week, most of the non-bake cheesecake demands an incorporation of gelatine in the cake batter. It is almost impossible for me to get a hold of this stuff here in cyberjaya. Gelatine is made from piggies (thus making it a BIG NO-NO) and through there are now bovine sources, if there is no Halal sticker on it, I wouldn't buy it. At home, I could find some pectin to replace gelatine, but here... aih.. wahh.. dilemma... finally, I just bought an agar-agar powder to replace it (pandai tak).
then came the process of making the actual cake, Problem two: I've made too much crust with 10 pieces of digestive cookies. so what did I do? just tepek all of it into the mould!! (kes tanak bazir... but Adi said he wouldn't want too much crust in his cheesecake... hummm..) I've also (dengan pandai tak hengatnyer) used a thin plastic bowl to mix everything. Bad mistake, the plastic was cracked and punctured here and there when I was done with the whole thing. Guess the blades from the mixer was too strong for the plastic (my mum's gonna kill me when she finds out about this... ahh...) So, as I was preparing the batter, I realized there is no fresh milk in the fridge. So my quick-thinking reflex was to throw in some strawberry milk instead! Problem three: the batter is now strawberry flavored when I wanted it to be a plain one! Fine, fine... then I proceed to the next step: putting in some agar-agar powder. the whole 10g of powder was for 1 litre of water. First, I just dissolve around 3/4 of the content (about three teaspoon). Mix it all up... then I realise it was kinda slurry and runny... I was like, "owh shit... can it really hold after assembling all the layer? Will it hardens in the fridge? why is it runny?? Is the batter more than 1 litre? should I put in more agar-agar mix?" (my housemates must have been annoyed since I asked every minute if the cake can hold... haha...) Sorry mates, I had a panic attack... In the end, as I was going to pour the batter into the mould, the panicked me (blame nadj, okeyh!!) pour all of the agar-agar mix into the batter....

habislah jadik macam nie kot...
around 10 minutes later, I realized the agar-agar mix take a while to hardens, and it's normal to be slurry and runny in the first 15 minutes!!!! the SHOCK!!! shoott!! and the cheese mixture was just 100ml shy of reaching 1 litre. There's also cheese in it (duh-uh) that'll help to solidify the cake! damn, I'm in trouble!! so, Problem four: may have put too much agar-agar powder! Hope it wont be to hard! waaaaaaaaaa.... then, I remembered the yogurt layer wasn't done yet and it was supposed to be hold together by some more bits of agar-agar which I had completely used up! *gasp*
AAhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!
hope I can get it together, somehow...
it's in the fridge now... tommorow's gonna be a moment of truth, seriously.
matilah besok tgk kek tak jadik!!
but the best part is; Adi said he'll take the blame if the cake tak jadik.. hehehe (jahat tak aku... ahaha)
so here's the recipe (yg konon2 dibuat... really should have followed it!!!)
Crust:
6 digestive biscuits
4 tablespoons brown sugar
1 stick melted butter (around 70g)
Cheese Filling:
250 g cream cheese
100 g sugar
200 ml whipping cream (whipped)
150 ml fresh milk
7 g agar-agar (around 3 teaspoon)
Yogurt layer:
2 cups yogurt (thickened)
20 ml milk
3 g agar-agar
method:
prepare the crust and chill.
cream the cheese with sugar until light and fluffy. Beat the whipping cream until soft peaks form. Fold the cream into the cheese. boil the milk and add the gelatine/ agar-agar until the powder dissolve. remove from heat and pour into the cheese mixture.
pour the cheese mixture onto the crust and refrigerate for at least two hours.
thicken the yogurt by putting it into a thin cloth and hang overnight. (it should be all thick like the Greek style yogurt) Boil the 20ml milk with the remaining agar-agar. Mix the two up and spread over the cake. Chill until serve.
-------------------------------------------
suddenly, I wish I can make this as well... a Japanese strawberry shortcake (my fav)

matilah sume kek nak letak strawberry!
-------------------------------------------------
EDIT:
looked at the cake just now, it's kinda.... cake-y... and not agar-agar like (thank God!!) so now the problem is to make the yogurt layer... hurm....
too bad Adi's camera isn't running... kalo tak dah post the pics.

No comments:
Post a Comment